Our new location:
1151 Massachusetts Avenue, near Harvard Square
in the basement of the Old Cambridge Baptist Church
***There is only metered parking at this site. Please do not park in the church parking lot for you will be towed*** If you plan to drop off a donation please call 617-576-0039 ext 1 so we can send someone outside to help bring in your donation once you arrive. Thank You
Hours of Operation
Tuesdays: 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Wednesdays: 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Thursdays: 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
617-576-0039 ext 1
617-576-0039 ext 2
How does the Children’s Clothing Exchange work?
Children’s Clothing Exchange participating members trade their child’s outgrown clothing, books, toys, and gear for age-appropriate items. If you do not have children’s items to trade, you can volunteer your time to earn credits that you can use to receive items for your child.
In order to receive items for your child, you must first visit the Children’s Clothing Exchange and register to participate in the program. The registration process takes about ten minutes. During registration, you will be asked to provide:
- Your contact information Intake form
- Your child’s birth certificate or health insurance card to prove that the child is yours.
- If you are pregnant and would like to receive items for your unborn child, you will be asked to provide a letter from your doctor stating that you are pregnant.
- Some basic demographic information such as your gender and the age of your child.
Will I need to share my income level with Solutions at Work to prove that my family needs your service?
Absolutely not. Our doors are open to anyone who believes that participating in our program will help them achieve financial self-sufficiency.
What rules must program participants follow?
All Children’s Clothing Exchange members are required to adhere to these rules to ensure the continued success of the program:
- First and foremost, have fun!
- Program participants may not select children’s items for other people’s children.
- You are welcome to visit the Exchange up to twice a month.
- You may select up to ten articles of clothing per visit, if you have enough credits to do so.
- You may select up to three pairs of shoes per visit.
- You may select one piece of baby equipment per visit.
- You may select one “basket full” of books and toys per visit with a ten-book limit.
- Select only a reasonable amount of miscellaneous items such as diapers and wipes.
- Be courteous and respectful to staff, volunteers, and other participating members.
- Help us keep our shelves and racks neat.
Please Note: Solutions at Work reserves the right to refuse service to anyone who does not adhere to the above rules.
What type of items can I donate?
Download a comprehensive list of the children’s items we accept. (Childrens-Clothing-Exchange-Wish-List). The sidebar to the right also lists the items we are in urgent need of right now.
When and where can I donate items?
We accept donations at 1151 Mass Avenue (starting October) in Cambridge at these times:
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 10:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Please call before you come so that we know when to expect you.
Will you pick up items at my home that I’d like to donate?
Unfortunately, we don’t currently have the capacity to pick up items at your home. We are seeking volunteers who could utilize their own vehicle to pick up items and transport them to the Children’s Clothing Exchange. Click here for more information about volunteering for Solutions at Work.
Do you offer any activities for children?
We have a large, cheerful play space at the Children’s Clothing Exchange that kids are welcome to use while their parents browse for items. Children under the age of five must be accompanied by a parent or guardian in the play space.
How do I make a money donation to the Children’s Clothing Exchange?
Please click the link below for more information about how to donate.
Is my donation tax-deductible?
Yes. We will provide you with a letter acknowledging your donation that may be used for tax purposes.